Thursday, February 29, 2024

A Commentary On The Last Blog Post

This is from our fellow Blog member Steve Forester. It's his thoughts on how your concept of Personal Protection needs to change as you get older.

 

I think the videos from yesterdays Blog post brings up some very interesting points.

First, is what is self defense?

Today, that is equal to MMA. Meaning "fighting".

Think about that. Everyone is all ready to "get in someone's one face" today. To talk trash and put someone down. Be a "bad ass".

Well, no. That is NOT my definition of self defense.,

My definition is to simply to protect yourself and your loved ones from harm.

A BIG difference and for those who can't see the distinction, well need to work on that some more.

One of the biggest things I have learned over the last seven years of studying this stuff full time is "self defense" is NOT about winning - it is just about NOT LOSING. A huge difference!

Today everything is is all about WINNING. I think the popularity of MMA and the UFC is based on this. Everyone wants to the the winner. The absolute bad ass who can kick anyone ass.

Well, Good luck with that. As John Benner said 20 years ago: "It is hard to wear that big  "S" (Superman) on your chest".

To me, a more realistic approach is to accept reality.

What if you are sick? You got the flu. Sick as a dog. Can we call time out and say we are sick?

How about injured? I've had injuries and in the back of my mind I thought I get a pass because I am injured. Surely the bad guys can't expect me to defend myself when injured.

Well, reality shock, predators attack the old, the weak, and the sick.

Real life has no rules. If sick, or a shoulder injury, that just means you are easier prey.

And, as Carl said, even if you are the "King Hell Stud Muffin" today, doesn't mean you will be tomorrow. I have seen this. Guys that were almost indestructible brought to their knees by that grim reaper: Old Age and/or disease.

I know I guy in his 30's that was King Of The Gym. At age 50, he got cancer and was a shell of his former self.

Young guys that think this will never happen to them - well good luck. I never thought it would happen to me either.

What does work?

Here is what I believe.

If your self defense doesn't work when old, injured, or sick, then it is not really self-defense. Because that is precisely when you will be attacked.

The video outlines what we need to do in these situations:

1. Try to avoid situations whenever possible. You may think it is your God given right to use that poorly lit ATM at 2am, but you are putting yourself in harms way.

2. Use self defense weapons to make up for the physical difference.

One thing I carry is pepper spray. I think this is one of the most underrated products on the market. A distance weapon that is legal everywhere and is a distraction device at a minimum.

Yeah, it might not bring the person to their knees begging for mercy. But we don't need that. We just need to break contact and escape. Or transition to a better weapon.

Never underestimate the male ego. I have trained with some of the best in the business who can't get beyond their ego. Who think they are total bad asses at age 60 or 70.

We are not. Just get over it, accept your limitations, and change your game plan to suit your abilities.

Simple as that!   









 

 

No comments: